2022 Dates: 20 – 22 June; 25 – 27 July; 19 – 21 September
Limited number of spots !! Because this workshop happens in the same time than the 5 day course, there are only two spots available
This workshop is a chance to get an introduction to earth building through hands-on sessions.
If you are planning to build your home (or any small sized building), We recommend you either to
- attend the 5 day workshop ‘Earth Building: Design and Practise’ which goes more into detail and include several aspects of the design (wall structure, energy efficiency etc) or
- arrange a consultation after the 3 day workshop.
Course schedule and content
Practise: Knowing earth as building material, testing the soil.
Practise: Making sun dried earth bricks (‘adobe’); Laying & leveling bricks on the wall.
DAY 2, Plastering and decoration
- Purpose of earth plastering, making samples to determine the best ratio
- Making and applying earth plaster, base coat (by hand and with tools)
- Applying finishing coat
- Decoration: prepare and apply natural earth paint; learn how to make basic sculpture with earth and straw.
DAY 3, Adobe technique (continued) and Cob technique
- What is Cob building? Preparing the mix; making a small Cob wall or a bench
- Adobe (continued) Installing a window, making a round-shape wall
After the course
You will be invited to participate in our building projects (maintenance, extensions or new buildings) in our land (Chiang Rai), for a reasonable fee. This will allow you to get more practise and learn other skills
Workshop in English, limited to 2 participants
Trainer: Alain Madec, natural builder and founder of ‘Baan Din Doi’.
Course schedule: 8.30 to 18.00 with several breaks; Lunch break: 12.00 to 14.00
All meals will be vegetarian food with some meat and fish options. Wifi available.
We ask all participants to refrain from any illegal drug use or excessive drinking while staying in the place.
You will stay in a adobe bricks room. The bedroom has its own private toilet and bathroom.
Safety/sanitary measures (covid 19)
We want to provide a safe environment for us and every participant. We organised the workshop and our place to ensure safety:
- Practise sessions in separate areas (a few meters distance from each other). Use of individual equipment (tarp, trowel etc)
- Available hydroalcoholic gel
- Negative rapid ATK covid test required to join
6,100 baht/person, including instruction, accommodation for three nights, all meals during the course. If you wish to stay one night before or after the course, please contact us for details.
Registration for more than one person: 200 bahts discount per person
For more information or registration contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org