2022 Dates: 26 – 28 February; 4 – 6 June
Workshops held after June 2022 will be announced in March.
This workshop is a chance to learn the essentials of earth building design and practise in three days.
The course is especially suitable for those who:
- want to gain a basic understanding of how an earth building provides thermal comfort and energy savings (in any climate)
- get an introduction to earth building through hands-on sessions
This course is a 3 day introduction to earth building mostly based on practise only and will provide you with an overview of earth building. If you are planning to build your home (or any small sized building), We recommend you either to
- attend the 6 day workshop ‘Earth Building: Design and Practise‘ which goes more into detail and include several aspects of the design (foundation, wall structure, energy efficiency etc) or
- arrange a consultation after the 3 day workshop.
Course schedule and content
Classroom session: Understand how a house made of natural materials can be cool in hot climates/seasons but warm in cold climates/seasons with low or no energy consumption. Overview of passive cooling/heating techniques, natural insulation etc. You will learn further by observing and then commenting on the land buildings.
Practise: Knowing earth as building material, testing the soil.
Practise: Making sun dried earth bricks (‘adobe’); Laying & leveling bricks on the wall.
DAY 2 Plastering
Practise: Purpose of earth plastering, making samples to determine the best ratio
Practise: Making and applying earth plaster
Practise: Finishing coat; plastering with hands and tools
DAY 3 Adobe technique (continued) and Cob technique
Practise: What is Cob building? Preparing the mix; making a small Cob wall
Practise : Adobe (continued) Laying & leveling adobe bricks on the wall
After the course
- You will be given printed handouts and the digital version of the training materials including additional documents (PDF files, Videos) and useful links if you wish to learn further
- You will be invited to participate in our building projects (maintenance, extensions or new buildings) in our land (Chiang Rai), for a reasonable fee. This will allow you to get more practise and learn other skills
The course will be held at ‘Baan Din Doi’, 30 minutes from Chiang Rai city and will have a maximum of 6 participants.
Trainer: Alain Madec, natural builder and founder of ‘Baan Din Doi’.
Course schedule: 8.30 to 18.00 with several breaks; Lunch break: 12.00 to 14.00
Participants will stay in a tent (one or two people). We propose this simple accommodation to help making the workshop price more affordable to people. We plan to have rooms for guests in the near future and we hope you will enjoy simplicity for now ! However, if you prefer to stay in a nearby resort/home stay, you will need to have your own transportation to come to the course every day.
All meals will be vegetarian food with some meat and fish options. Wifi available.
We ask all participants to refrain from any illegal drug use or excessive drinking while staying at our centre.
Safety/sanitary measures (covid 19)
We want to provide a safe environment for us and every participant. We organised the workshop and our place to ensure safety:
- Classroom sessions in outdoor hall (natural ventilation)
- Practise sessions in separate areas (a few meters distance from each other). Use of individual equipment (tarp, trowel etc)
- Available hydroalcoholic gel
- Cleaning before, during and after the week-end
Stay at BaanDinDoi: 4,800 baht/person (about 130 euros, 150 USD), including instruction, accommodation in a tent, all meals during the course.
Stay in a nearby resort/home stay: 3,800 baht/person (about 100 euros, 120 USD), including instruction and lunches during the course. Price for additional meal, breakfast or diner: 100 baht/person.
Registration for more than one person: 250 bahts discount per person
If you wish to stay overnight after the course, please contact us for details.
For more information or registration contact email@example.com